Year 2000 manual introduction

Subject: Year 2000 manual introduction
From: "Doyle, Lindsay" <lindsay -dot- doyle -at- funb -dot- com>
To: "'TechWriter List'" <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2000 14:08:47 -0500

Hi,
I am writing the Introduction to the Year 2000 manuals and would like advice
on how to explain the following:

Since the beginning of the documentation portion of the project, the
management structure changed more than once. With these management shifts
came changes in the documentation standards. I want to explain to the
readers that there are both terminology variances as well as tense changes
(sometimes present, sometimes past). As there are almost 50 individual
manuals (one for each group that tested and one global guide), some of them
in excess of 600 pages, and since the information in each came from as many
as 6 different sources (NT, UNIX, etc.), it is not feasible for me to revise
each manual so that the terminology and tense are uniform throughout.
Here's what I have so far:

"This manual, and all application area specific manuals, were compiled over
a period of fifteen months. During that time, documentation standards and
lab management practices were revised, resulting in variations throughout
the manuals. These variations include, but are not limited to, " and now
I'm stuck. Any feedback, including revisions of the above, are
appreciated!!

I receive the list in digest form, so please respond to me directly. Thanks
in advance!

Lindsay Randolph Doyle
First Union Capital Markets
Y2k Project Office
(704) 593-7439 phone
(704) 593-7006 fax
lindsay -dot- doyle -at- capmark -dot- funb -dot- com <lindsay -dot- doyle -at- capmark -dot- funb -dot- com>