Screen Capture Software - Any Recommendations?

Subject: Screen Capture Software - Any Recommendations?
From: "Christopher" <addforlist -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 16:41:17 +0100

Bonne Annee (Happy New Year) to you all.

Quick question, do any of you have software recommendations for screen
captures (sorry for the low level question, but I am very new to this game)?

Previously, for online help (html) I used Paint Shop Pro (5.03) which I
quite liked. Very shortly we will be beginning our User's Guide (printed,
but will probably be distributed in .pdf as well), and I wondered if I
should 'upgrade' at all.

As I'm here, I might as well ask the other questions that have been bugging
me, starting with the one above:

1) What software do you use for screen captures? Do you use a specific
program, or a standard graphics program?

2) I remember reading in previous discussions that images become fuzzy after
reducing them more than 10 to 30% (i.e. so that the image is now between 70
and 90% of its original size). Is this correct? Any advice?

3) In what format should I save my images (png, tiff, jpg...)? We plan to
use FrameMaker for authoring, which will then generate a .pdf a) to send to
the printers b) to put onto the program's CD.

Having the possibility of reusing screenshots or icon images in our online
reference (html) would be nice.

4) Those of you using PSP, which rescaling method do you use (pixel, smart,
or bicubic? (bilinear is more increasing the size I believe)?

As regards to questions about whether to have screen shots at all, or to
centre just on the appropriate part of the screen, or to have jagged edges
etc, I shall look through archives as I remember various discussions on
these points.

Please reply directly to me and I can post a summary if there is any
interest.

Thanks,

Christopher