OT: e-books and heritage

Subject: OT: e-books and heritage
From: PHILA -at- Mail -dot- VIPS -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2000 12:13:15 -0500

<<In fact, within the next 10 years, Barnes and Noble Vice Chairman Steve
Riggio said, "There will be an electronic version of virtually every single
book in print.">>

The idea of an evolving paperless library raises a number of troubling
considerations in my mind...
--Data degradation
--Archival requirements
--Technological obsolescence
--Cost of conversion or upgrade
**Books *not* made available in this format

As an ex-librarian, I'll confess: my personal library could use a reduction
in size. But I'm not willing to trade my groaning bookshelves for technology
that my grandchildren might not be able to use. Nor am I willing to deprive
them of the feeling of continuity gained by reading, for example, the same
well-thumbed poetry book that their mother, grandmother, and
great-great-aunt read...dog-ears, spidery marginal scribbles, yellowing
bookplate and all.

Those native to this land had a principle of considering the seven
generations - three generations of elders, the current generation, and three
generations of descendants -- before making any wholesale decision. Our
elders, by contrast, are already devalued and dumped in nursing homes; the
books from their generations are steadily being culled from underfunded
libraries and school curricula as "no longer relevant." If eBooks take off,
the paper version may well become a quaint throwback, progressively less
accessible...yet another step in the same trend toward, as Robert Bly called
it, a myopic, self-referential "sibling society."

Thanks,
Phila
Philomena Hoopes
Phila -at- vips -dot- com <Phila -at- vips -dot- com>
(410) 832-8330 ext. 845