RE: e-books and heritage

Subject: RE: e-books and heritage
From: "Dawn Marie Oliver (Write Stuff)" <a-dawnmo -at- Exchange -dot- Microsoft -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2000 12:11:06 -0800

Emru Townsend wrote:
> To attempt to steer this toward some relevance to this forum, I don't know
> if data migration is really such an obstacle. As someone who has moved a
> formidable graphics & document archive from 5.25" floppies to 3.5"
floppies
> (double, then high density) to EZ-135 to Zip to SparQ to CD-RW across four
> or five different platforms, I can testify that it's not really that hard,
> especially since interoperability and backward-compatibility are seen as
> assets when these new media come out.

However, one "gotcha" I see in this is that if you neglect to upgrade _each
and every time_ a new media comes out, you may have little help in making
the hop two steps. Skip two upgrades and you may have lost all chances.

This means that you absolutely _must_ keep up with the latest technology.
And there are people out there who resent being forced to upgrade when
their current setup works fine.

This also takes time--a scarce commodity now, and probably more scarce
in the coming years. I know I'd rather spend my free time viewing a sunset
and meeting with my friends, rather than re-archiving my data.

Just my two cents.

Dawn-Marie Oliver

"My opinions are of course mine alone."-