GUI info: thanks & summary

Subject: GUI info: thanks & summary
From: "Mason, Catheryn" <CMason -at- INFINITEC-COM -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM'" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2000 15:04:37 -0600

All:
Thanks to everyone who responded to my query about finding information on
GUI design and development. I received a lot of good advice as well as
enough leads to keep me busy for a good while. A helpful community of peers
and colleagues proves invaluable once again.

For those who are interested, recommendations included the following (this
list is *not* exhaustive):
*User and Task Analysis for Interface Design (Hackos & Redish)
*Designing the User Interface (Ben Shneiderman) AND accompanying web site:
www.aw.com
*User Interface Engineering website: www.world.std.com/~uieweb/
*Windows Interface Guidelines for Software Design (Microsoft Press) ALSO
Microsoft Windows User Experience (Microsoft Press) (I believe the latter,
published in 1999, is an updated version of the former)
*The GUI Style Guide (Fowler & Stanwick)
*The Elements of User Interface Design (Theo Mandel)
*The Inmates are Running the Asylum (Alan Cooper)
*About Face (Alan Cooper)
*GUI Design for Dummies
*The Design of Everyday Things (Donald Norman)
*www.iarchitect.com -- Hall of Fame and Hall of Shame
*www.uidesign.net
*www.cooper.com
*www.useit.com
*www.nngroup.com
*Graphic Design for Electronic Documents and User Interfaces (Aaron Marcus)
*ACM Transactions on Computer-Human Interaction
*ACM Interactions: A Magazine for User Interface Designers
*Unnamed books by the following authors: Brenda Laurel, Deborah Hix & H. Rex
Hartson, and Bruce Tognazzini

I found most of these and many other helpful books available on Amazon's
site (www.amazon.com).
Thanks again for the leads -- now comes the research!

Catheryn Mason, Technical Writer
Infinitec Communications
cmason -at- infinitec-com -dot- com
Winner, 1999 IABC Bronze Quill Award of Excellence for Technical Writing