RE: Tech Writing Standards for Business/IT

Subject: RE: Tech Writing Standards for Business/IT
From: "Giordano, Connie" <Connie -dot- Giordano -at- fmr -dot- com>
To: "'perrya'" <perrya -at- jps -dot- net>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 08:55:50 -0500

Perry,

Standards for consistency, yeah, but how do you fairly evaluate TWs in the
software industry, working for companies where code freezes never happen?
Where test plans are a figment of somebody's vivid imagination?

Just because it's inaccurate this week, doesn't mean it wasn't right when I
wrote it for the fourth time three weeks ago!

Standards across the tech writing industry would be almost impossible to
enforce, because the way you write policies and procedures differs vastly
from a software user guide, which differs again from how to enforce safety
protocols, or how to put together a telcomm network.

The goal (at least for me, others may flame at will) is usability, I achieve
that by writing accurate, coherent, targeted content. The standards vary by
vertical industry and company.

Connie