RE: How do you handle revisions for translation?

Subject: RE: How do you handle revisions for translation?
From: Bill Burns <BillDB -at- intl -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 08:15:01 -0700

Andres writes:

> Maybe I am missing something here, but why aren't you using translation
> memories? The way we work with our clients is quite straight-forward
> (slightly abbreviated here):

Andres is correct that TM is an excellent solution for new translation that
will need to be leveraged in the future.

Let me ask this, though, just for my own understanding. I've been told that
aligning source and target texts that have been previously translated is
expensive and time consuming, and this reasoning has been used, by some
companies, as a justification not to move a previously translated project to
TM. For those of you localization folks who have used TM for a long time, do
you think this is a reasonable excuse, or do you think the savings outweigh
the initial costs even in the short term (as opposed to the obvious long
term savings)?

Bill Burns - Eccentric Technology Consultant
INT'L.com Design & Development
billdb -at- intl -dot- com
Y2K Complacent