customizable documentation

Subject: customizable documentation
From: PHILA -at- Mail -dot- VIPS -dot- com
To: TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 17:19:55 -0500

Hello, all of you -

One of our customers, having received their first documentation in PDF
format, proceeded to ask whether they could have editable files.
Specifically, they want to change the references to system-assigned field
names, substituting their customized names.

I've been waiting for this to happen...our system has steadily been evolving
to allow a great deal of customization. I have no idea, however, what would
be involved in allowing a customer access to source documentation files (in
FrameMaker, yet) for their own editing. Also, looking down the road, how can
documents be set up to allow each customer to adapt their own documentation?

What are the long range maintenance implications? What about copyrights,
updates, guaranteed accuracy, etc.?

Do any of you have a workable process for this? If so, would you be willing
to offer some insights?

Thanks,
Phila
Philomena Hoopes
Phila -at- vips -dot- com <Phila -at- vips -dot- com>
(410) 832-8330 ext. 845