Adverb placement/usage (use frequently vs. frequently use)

Subject: Adverb placement/usage (use frequently vs. frequently use)
From: "Zaininger, Kathy" <Kathy -dot- Lynch -at- xpedior -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM'" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 13:04:42 -0600

Hello All,

What is the correct (or preferred) placement of an adverb: preceding or
following the verb it modifies? What if the adverb is separated from the
verb? Which of the following statement is the correct (or preferred) usage:

A. If you frequently use the Dictionary, you can.....

B. If you use the Dictionary frequently, you can....

Sorry to clutter your Inboxes with such a basic question. I know that there
is a correct or preferred way to do this (and I've heard tech writers
arguing vehemently about it), but I can't remember what it is!

Your assistance is much appreciated.

- Kathy

Kathy Zaininger Xpedior
(formerly Kathy Lynch) (formerly Metamor
Technologies)
Senior Consultant One North Franklin; Suite
1500
Direct: 312.251.4279 Chicago, IL 60606
Pager: 312.916.1434 Main: 800.462.6301
Kathy -dot- Zaininger -at- xpedior -dot- com www.xpedior.com