Re: Typeface Research

Subject: Re: Typeface Research
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 18:39:15 -0500

Effects like making them run screaming from the room, looking for the
nearest gun? Effects like eyestrain? Effects like reading speed,
comprehension, and recall?

Seriously, I have seen very little research on readability that uses
typeface as the independent variable and does so in a way that I would
consider rigorously scientific. Most of the so-called studies I've seen
have not controlled for any of the interesting variables. I would say
you are better off studying typography as a teachable art than as a
reducible technique.

My .02

Dick