RE: Self-explanatory installation

Subject: RE: Self-explanatory installation
From: Jim Cort <jcort -at- totaltel -dot- com>
To: "'techwrites'" <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 08:44:32 -0500

Dear Anon:

This may be a non-problem.

Who is doing the installation? Is it someone who is likely to know what a
socket and a socket number are? Are your customers likely to trust
installation to someone with not enough technical knowledge to understand
what he's doing?

My guess is you don't have to explain in exhaustive detail the ins and outs
of every choice. Just inform the installer that choices can be made, and
leave him to figure it out.

If the customer does let someone who doesn't know what he's doing install
this thing, then shame on them.

I confess I don't know what a socket number is, let alone a socket. Folks
around here don't let me install anything.

And a lucky thing, too.
Jim Cort
Technical Writer
Totaltel
Jcort -at- totaltel -dot- com <mailto:Jcort -at- totaltel -dot- com>