Re: In Need of a Freelance or Telecommuting Technical Writing Position

Subject: Re: In Need of a Freelance or Telecommuting Technical Writing Position
From: Chris Despopoulos <cud -at- arrakis -dot- es>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 09:37:50 +0100

My most general suggestion is, network, then network. After
that, you should probably network some more. Being in
California, I'm sure you can understand the verb usage of
the noun, network. (Us writers call that usage "verbing" a
noun... If you want to writer yourself, get used to it.)

My point is, I have successfully managed a year and then
some completely by remote. But I have only gotten one
cold-call job, and that was due to a personal recommendation
from a former co-worker (thanks). I guess the world isn't
quite ready to hire people online, cold, and out of the
blue. I can't tell you how often I got replies that said,
"Great resume... Let us know when you move back to the
States."

That said, I believe there's still a job posting on this
site for telecommuting. I would go for it myself except I'm
pretty busy. I hope you take that last point as
encouragement.

Cheers cud

ps
Telecommuters can usually work whatever hours they choose.
But they should be available for phone meetings. And most
teams can accommodate a class schedule re meetings.

Brian South said:

I am interesting in obtaining a telecommuting or
freelance technical writing
position. I live in Sacramento, CA. Since I am
taking classes in the morning,
I would like to work in the evenings.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.