Adobe Distiller 4 - PDF compatibility with Reader 3?

Subject: Adobe Distiller 4 - PDF compatibility with Reader 3?
From: Melanie_Albrecht -at- moldflow -dot- com
To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 10:47:49 +1000

Hi all

I've searched the archives, but to no avail.

Could someone please let me know what's happening here, or perhaps
recommend another mailing list or other resource, which might be more
appropriate?

I have created some PDFs in Adobe Distiller 4, which needed to be
compatible with Readers 3 & 4, so I checked the "compatible with Reader 3"
checkbox in Distiller. To create the PDF, I opened the original document
in Word 97 and clicked the Make PDF button which links to Distiller.

The document is created without problems, but there's something wrong. The
document appears ok in Reader 4, but in Reader 3, the document opens, and
the following error message appears:

Invalid ColorSpace

and then:

This file contains information not understood by the viewer.

The text in the PDF file appears fine, but the coloured graphics either
don't appear, or are black.

Is this a bug in Distiller, or did I do something wrong?

Melanie
melanie_albrecht -at- moldflow -dot- com

IMPORTANT: This transmission is intended for the sole use of the addressee
and may contain confidential or legally privileged information. If you are
not the intended recipient, you are notified that any use or dissemination
of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
transmission in error please notify us immediately by telephone at [the
number / one of the numbers] set forth below so that we can arrange for the
return of the document at no cost to you.

Thank You.
Moldflow Corporation
781-674-0085 (United States),+ 613-9720-2088 (Australia), +33-472-8211-30
(France), +81-03-5215-3680 (Japan)