Frame to HTML: Way to preserve tabs?

Subject: Frame to HTML: Way to preserve tabs?
From: Carolyn Yount <carolyn -at- tellme -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 16:17:01 -0800

Hi,

I've written a reference guide in FrameMaker that I then saved as HTML.
FrameMaker nicely splits the .fm file into .html files and add links to them
from the main page. The only problem is preserving tabs that I've used in code
samples.

For example, my code sample looks like this:

<asdf>
<asdf>
<asdf>
<asdf>
<asdf>
<asdf>

After FrameMaker gets through converting it, it looks like this:

<asdf>
<asdf>
<asdf>
<asdf>
<asdf>
<asdf>

If I use spaces instead of tabs and map my code text to preformatted text, the
indentation is preserved but then an extra line is added:

<asdf>

<asdf>

<asdf>

<asdf>

<asdf>

<asdf>

Any workarounds? ...I tried writing a macro (replacing \t with &nbsp;), but it
didn't work ....although I may not have done it properly.

Thanks, Carolyn