RE: Need CGI& database: Hooks from Microsoft IIS/FrontPage/Access?

Subject: RE: Need CGI& database: Hooks from Microsoft IIS/FrontPage/Access?
From: "Geoff Lane" <geoff -at- gjctech -dot- co -dot- uk>
To: "'David Slonosky'" <David_Slonosky -at- i2 -dot- com>, "'TECHWR-L'" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 22:08:50 -0000

Take a look at the Microsoft ASP documentation (this should be on your
computer if you have ASP installed, or you can have a look around the MSDN
library). FWIW, you can install PWS on your workstation. This is a
'cut-down' version of IIS that you can use to develop your applications
before porting them across to the server.

Using ASP, you have a variety of server-side languages available to you,
including VBScript, JavaScript, and PerlScript (but I'm not too sure how you
get hold of the latter!) You can also use compiled executables but that's a
lot more work<g>.

One thing that I would strongly recommend is that you use a more-robust DBMS
than Access when you deploy your CGI. FWIW, I've had no end of trouble with
lock files (*.ldb) when using Access in multi-user mode. Access 2000
supposedly supports SQL Server, so perhaps it doesn't suffer with this like
Access 7 and 97. However, I've had good results using SQL Server on an
intranet with over a thousand regular users.

HTH

Geoff Lane
Cornwall, UK
geoff -at- gjctech -dot- co -dot- uk