RE: Research Request

Subject: RE: Research Request
From: Curt Mummert <CMummert -at- pharmanet-cro -dot- com>
To: "'Win Day'" <winday -at- home -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 09:01:28 -0500

Just English? How about Russian, German, French etc? Language conveys
information, whether literary or technical. My audiences care less about
the inside stuff that makes the data base usable, they just need to know how
to use it. They learn that by words, in any language.

Some technical writers are more "technical" than others. Some of my jobs
have required nearly an engineering level of knowledge, others required only
word processing. All seem to fall under the generic job name of Technical
Writer.

Likewise in a business sense - it may be required to understand something
about manufacturing in order to document a FI/FO inventory system. My
personal view is that any english major can claim the "technical writer"
title. If they know nothing about the technology or business they are
"writing" about, their value is about that of a fairly smart
secretary/typist.