RE: The Old Argument: FrameMaker vs. MS Word

Subject: RE: The Old Argument: FrameMaker vs. MS Word
From: "Anthony Markatos" <tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: Connie -dot- Giordano -at- FMR -dot- COM, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 12:44:21 PST

Connie Giordano said:

I think there are a whole bunch of us out here who happen to be outstanding writers, analysts, AND designers.

Tony Markatos responds:

Reality-check time. I have been following the "general nature" of postings to this listserv for a couple of years. The overall impression that I get is that a typical Tech Writer: does some writing, then some DTP, then wrestles with a file-conversion issue, then handles a production-related issue, then does some more writing, - on-and-on.

Little mention is made of end-user task analysis, flow-charting and other organization/design issues, estimating (critical to effective analysis and design), and Project Management issues.

I am not "cutting" other listserv members. I have had the luxury of focusing my efforts on documentation planning and design issues. I have not had to get too involved in DTP, on-line help technology, conversions, and production issues. If I had to, something would have to give - and the first things that I would cut back on would be task analysis, flow-charting, and estimating.

Tony Markatos
(tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com)