RE: The Old Argument: FrameMaker vs. MS Word

Subject: RE: The Old Argument: FrameMaker vs. MS Word
From: Win Day <winday -at- home -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 09:49:11 -0500

At 12:22 PM 1/21/00 -0600, Melanie Shook wrote:

><snip>
>>
>>Frame lets you assign a character style within a paragraph style.
>>It's invaluable for drawing attention to screens, fields, buttons, or
>>commands within body text.
>>

>So does Word. I use this feature regularly, for the reasons you mention.
></snip>
>
>Win, if this works, please explain it. In Word, you can change the
>formatting of highlighted text, but as far as I know, it's not a "character
>format." That is to say, in Frame you can name this format "DefinedTerm"
>and then easily change the properties of all text to which the "DefinedTerm"
>character tag has been applied. For example, I could decide I wanted all
>the DefinedTerm tags to be blue and Italic, and then change my mind and make
>them red and bold at a later date. I don't have to use search & replace to
>do this. If Word has this feature, I would love to be able to use it - I
>couldn't find anything in the help, other than changing the format of
>highlighted text.

Melanie's post came to me offlist before I saw this one on the list. So
for the benefit of anyone else who wonders how to do this:

Create a character style, not a paragraph style.

From the menu, choose Format => Style => New. In the Style Type field,
choose Character from the drop-down list. Enter a unique name in the Name
field.

Format to your heart's content. When you click on the Format button, the
drop-down list has greyed-out the unavailable functions. All that's left
is Font, Border, and Language.

Win
Win Day
Technical Writer