Re: apologia pro vita sua (was Re: The Old Argument: FrameMa

Subject: Re: apologia pro vita sua (was Re: The Old Argument: FrameMa
From: "Elna Tymes" <etymes -at- lts -dot- com>
To: "Brady, Joy" <JBrady -at- alldata -dot- net>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 14:43:48 -0800

Brady, Joy wrote:

> I, like many others on this list, really enjoy having a variety of skills,
> and this job does appeal to my "innate curiosity" (someone's good insight
> about tech writers). But I wonder if the expectation of us to do EVERYTHING
> has to do with a low valuation of the tech writer in the business world. I
> mean, we really, really have to sing for our supper. I can and will "sing &
> dance," whatever it takes, but I know that my programmer buddies do not have
> to, and they make similar money.

I'm not sure what area of the country you work in, but I'm experiencing
something rather different in Silicon Valley. Yes, I'm expected to do
everything. And quickly. And perfectly. However it's been my experience,
especially lately, that the tech writers who really can do it all are getting
rather remarkable pay. Pay rates (at least in the contract market) that are
better than QA people. Pay rates that are better than web designers. Pay rates
that are sometimes higher - much higher - than many programmers.

It's not my experience that tech writers have a "low valuation" in this corner
of the economy. If your resume is really strong, you can command some really
serious money. Of course it all depends on where you are, and what the market
is like.

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems