Re: Do you give permission to use your materials?

Subject: Re: Do you give permission to use your materials?
From: Katav <katav -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Megan Golding <megan -dot- golding -at- dvtsensors -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 16:16:51 -0800 (PST)

Megan, in order to waive rights, you have to OWN the
rights. The documents to which you refer are your
employers, not yours. You were paid to create them for
the company.

Having written that, some companies with which I have
delt in the past allow postions of their documents to
be lifted in toto; others require the user to
reference their manual. In one (mil-spec) case, I had
to create the OEM documentation for my manual. That
probably was better since in this instance, the part
was thoroughly integrated into my employer's product
and we assumed responsibility for the entire system.

By the way, _IS_ your documentation copyrighted? Does
anyone in your company know how to copyright a
document. (It is relatively simple, but most often not
done.)

--- Megan Golding <megan -dot- golding -at- dvtsensors -dot- com>
wrote:
> I work for a small company writing manuals . A
> customer of ours wants to
> customize existing training manuals that I wrote. I
> wonder how frequently
> writers give permission to use sections of their
> manuals. I told our
> customer I'd waiver the copyright for them and
> provide them source documents
> to take sections they need for their materials.

=====
Katav ( katav -at- yahoo -dot- com )
''Despise not any person and do not deem anything unworthy
of consideration, for there is no person without his hour,
and no thing without its place'' {Ben Azzai [Avot 4:2]}

http://im.yahoo.com