Re: apologia pro vita sua (was Re: The Old Argument: FrameMa

Subject: Re: apologia pro vita sua (was Re: The Old Argument: FrameMa
From: Win Day <winday -at- home -dot- com>
To: "Elna Tymes" <etymes -at- lts -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 06:18:50 -0500

At 02:43 PM 1/24/00 -0800, Elna Tymes wrote:

<SNIP>

>It's not my experience that tech writers have a "low valuation" in this
corner
>of the economy. If your resume is really strong, you can command some really
>serious money. Of course it all depends on where you are, and what the
market
>is like.

Exactly, Elna. My clients hire me (and pay me quite well, I might add)
because I CAN do everything for them.

I earn more per hour than I ever did as an engineer. Last year I made
almost as much as my husband, who is in the top 0.5% for engineers in our
graduating year (according to the annual salary survey of the Professional
Engineers of Ontario).

I LIKE being a generalist. I LIKE having complete control of my projects
from start to finish. That's one of the big reasons I went back to
contracting after a short hiatus.

Win
Win Day
Technical Writer