RE: ADMIN: Re: OT How do I unsubscribe?

From: "Murrell, Thomas" <TMurrell -at- alldata -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 12:44:48 -0500

Though it is not always true, I, too, plead guilty of SAYING that I never
read the documentation. My stated reason is that I know the kind of people
who write the documentation. Why should I believe them? <G>

Seriously, it is good to be reminded that no matter how diligently we take
our users into account, no matter how easy we make it for them (or think we
make it for them), we never catch them all. We human beings have a variety
of learning strategies. Perhaps the one thing all these different strategies
have in common is that we all do what has worked for us in the past. If
reading the manual has worked, we want a manual and online help be damned.
If calling Tech Support has worked for us in the past, we want that phone
number pasted right above our telephones. If asking the coworker in the
next cubical works, we get very upset when the new person doesn't know as
much as the previous occupant knew.

As a rule, with caveats for exceptions as always, once we hit upon those
strategies that work for us, we hate to change. We're really very resistant
to change.

From what I've seen on this list, Tech Writers are no better than anyone
else. (I know that may be heresy to some, but it's true.)

Me, when I unsubscribe, I'll go to the TECHWR-L web site and do it from
there. <G>

Tom Murrell