Re: Correct verb/infinitive for performing actions

Subject: Re: Correct verb/infinitive for performing actions
From: Harry Hager <hhager -at- dttus -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com, AtticusF -at- pciwiz -dot- com
Date: 26 Jan 2000 07:36:44 -0600

Atticus,

From the Microsoft Manual of Style for Technical Communications, 2nd
Edition, ISBN 1-57231-890-2, $29.99 (probably cheaper at Amazon.com):

Combo box (page 75) - Under "Usage" they give three options,
Select the Spaces check box.
Click to clear the Bookmarks checkbox.
Select the appropriate check boxes.

Note Always include check box with the label name.

List box (page 76) - Under "Usage" they state the following:
In the Wallpaper list, click the background wallpaper of your
choice.

Spin box (page 77) _ Under "Usage" they state the following:
In the Date box, type or select the part of the date you want to
change.

H. Jim Hager
Deloitte Consulting
Pittsburgh Solution Center

Author: AtticusF -at- pciwiz -dot- com at Internet-USA
Date: 1/25/00 5:52 PM

My coworker (moo) asked me to post this question for him. Please feel
free
to send responses to me directly.

Thank you,
Atticus The Lurker

**
> Dear Techwirlers:
>
> Does anyone have an opinion as to what the correct verb/infinitive is for
> performing actions with the following objects?
>
> -- Combo boxes
>
> -- List boxes
>
> -- Spin boxes
>
> For example, would you use entering, as in "entering number of Widgets",
> when the Widgets field is populated with a spin box?
>
> Thanks,
Avram

Training & consulting for RoboHELP, Dreamweaver, HTML, and HTML-Based Help.
More info at http://www.weisner.com/train/ or mailto:training -at- weisner -dot- com -dot-

Register now for a Professional Technical Writing Certificate at
www.online-learning.com/index1.html. An ideal professional development
opportunity, PTW begins February 15, 2000 and lasts 4 months.

---
You are currently subscribed to techwr-l as: hhager -at- dttus -dot- com