Re: Copyrights

Subject: Re: Copyrights
From: "Theresa Jones" <tjones95 -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 08:33:05 CST

<snip>

Fifth, documents written as "work-for-hire" automatically belong to whatever
entity hired the writer, not the writer.
</snip>

I have a question about this rule. How is ownership figured in the case of winning awards? I ask this question because a few years ago, a former employer submitted a multi-media product that was completely created by a consultant they hired to a prestigious tech writing competition. In the application they submitted, they made no mention of the consultant that did all the work- despite the fact that none of the employed writers had even heard of the software the consultant used on the interactive product.

If the work of a consultant belongs entirely to the entity who hired that consultant, can the technical writing department of that entity win writing awards for that consultant's work? Should the company acknowledge that a consultant wrote it, or should they even submit the work at all? How are awards committees supposed to know if a work was created by a consultant or by an employee of a company?

The company did not win, by the way, they got a 'runner-up' type award.
Thanks for your thoughts!