RE: Employment Resources

Subject: RE: Employment Resources
From: "Wally Glassett" <wallyg -at- flashcom -dot- net>
To: "Murrell, Thomas" <TMurrell -at- alldata -dot- net>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 20:50:59 -0800

A few words from the other side of the issue... I've been a
freelance/contract tech writer for a long time, and my experience is that
the verbiage in 99% of ALL hiring ads is WAY less than specific. Until some
client is willing to say exactly what they are looking for (e.g., "Someone
who can produce 5 web ready pages per day using FrontWeaver, on an NT box,
in a Novell LAN, in a small/large cubicle, with a 14 inch (or whatever)
monitor, with x, y, & z utilities, in an environment where priorities and
content requirements change hourly/daily/weekly, on a review cycle of x
hours/days, with limited/unlimited SME/user access, etc.) then I will be
forced to submit my standard resume.

My experience is that I rarely know what a client REALLY wants until I've
been engaged/hired and in their environment for about a week, if then.

I've been on the other side, too, and when I was managing and hiring I knew
how good my crystal ball was/wasn't and didn't expect more (!) of any
candidate. I was ALWAYS very successful in my hiring because I always hired
the best overall person available, who had the best attitude about working
and learning, and who I thought would best fit into the environment I had to
offer them. If they didn't happen to know DreamPage, it didn't matter. In
short, I always bet on general talent rather than specifics.

Finally, in general I don't think there is such a thing as an
"inappropriate" resume. Someone took the time to read the ad, make some kind
of inquiry, and took the time to respond. If they weren't interested they
wouldn't have done any of that. It usually takes a lot more time to respond
to an ad than it does for a hiring manager to throw some standard
boilerplate together and place the ad.

I particularly loved a response I once got, by email, from a VP of
Engineering in a high-tech start up where he criticized my writing samples
using grammar and syntax that wouldn't have gotten him out of the 6th grade.
I have it on my wall.

Wally Glassett
Tech Doc-It, Inc.
wallyg99 -at- home -dot- net <mailto:wallyg99 -at- home -dot- net>