Re: Best Documentation

Subject: Re: Best Documentation
From: "Mark Baker" <mbaker -at- omnimark -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 09:48:30 -0500

Brent L Jones

> I think the best examples of technical documentation I have ever seen are
> the instructions that come w/ modern-day Lego kits. They are entirely
> pictorial

The only problem with calling this "best documentation" is that it does not
solve a particularly hard problem. It just shows how to fit pieces together.
Sure, pictures work fine for this. Ikea's documentation generally works well
for the same reason. But there are no concepts to be mastered here. There
are no conditions to assess. No interactions with an external environment to
manage. Not even any tools required. Physical assembly of well designed
components just isn't much of a challenge to do or to document.

"Best documentation" should be saved for documentation that solves a harder
problem.