Re: "Team Player" - Please Define?

Subject: Re: "Team Player" - Please Define?
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- worldnet -dot- att -dot- net>
To: "Anthony Markatos" <tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 23:37:42 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Anthony Markatos <tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Friday, January 28, 2000 10:18 PM
Subject: "Team Player" - Please Define?

>Question for all listserv members:
>
>I am looking at a tech comm job listing that states that the future
employee
>must be a "team player". What is meant by this? Specifics please.
>
>Digression: I have always been a firm believer in the old business saying,
>"Only two percent(2%) of all people [employees] are problem solvers, the
>rest are just along for the ride." My belief in such makes it very hard
for
>me to envision a true "team" environment - where everyone assumes an equal
>portion of the more difficult tasks.
>
>All responses appreciated.

I've always understood "team player" to be code for, "If you want to sit
alone all day in your cubicle and write, you'd be happier elsewhere." Also
implied is that the employer wants a psychologically healthy person who has
a nuanced understanding of interpersonal dynamics and who can work
productively with even the most "difficult" people.

Bonnie Granat