RE: Interviewing writers

Subject: RE: Interviewing writers
From: Chuck Martin <CMartin -at- serena -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 09:17:16 -0800

Oh projects don't fall apart. The manuals or Help, in some form, get out
there with the product. (Although I've known about cases where docs weren't'
shipped with a release.)

But in my short (7ish years) career, I have had numerous encounters with
horrible writing. Often it was not task oriented either, but that's a horse
of a different color. I have seen information organized, perhaps not
efficiently for a user, but logically according to some writer. But the
grammar. Oh! the horror of it all.

<coarse bluntness>
No matter how well organized the project, no matter how well identified the
tasks, if the writing is crappy, the documentation will suck.
</coarse bluntness>

--
Chuck Martin
Sr. Technical Writer, SERENA Software

"People who use business software might despise it, but they are getting
paid to tolerate it....Most people who are paid to use a tool feel
constrained not to complain about that tool, but it doesn't stop them from
feeling frustrated and unhappy about it."
- "The Inmates are Running the Asylum"
Alan Cooper

are addressed. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution
is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact
the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original
message.