Re: FWD: Getting out of a bad situation

Subject: Re: FWD: Getting out of a bad situation
From: "Elna Tymes" <etymes -at- lts -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2000 17:58:41 -0800

anonfwd -at- raycomm -dot- com wrote:

> I want to know, when I'm asked why I left my previous job and why I have
> no references from my previous place of employment, how should I respond?

That a personality conflict developed between you and your boss, and that caused you to
choose to leave. There are plenty of situations somewhat like you describe, and enough
of us have been there that we can respecte someone's saying that this was the
situation. However, bring samples of your work, if you can.

> How do I wash my hands of this place and this job?

As tactfully and honestly as you can. Situations like that never get better unless one
or the other of the parties leaves. And since he's not leaving, you'd better.

> How important are previous references in getting Tech Writing/Editing jobs?

Depends on where you want to locate. I can't speak for the situation in non-US areas,
and I can't speak for the situation outside of the West Coast. However in this area
references are important, but not as important as samples of your work and how you come
across in the interview. In the white-hot economy of Silicon Valley, people may check
one reference, if that - if your samples are good and it appears you know how to do the
job, that's what matters.

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems