Re: Mac/Window button names

Subject: Re: Mac/Window button names
From: "Joe" <jsokohl -at- eudoramail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L digest" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2000 11:50:37 -0800

Here's how the Canvas 6 user's guide handles it:
"Certain terms and abbreviations are used in this manual to describe procedures. In most cases, Canvas works exactly the same under Mac
OS and Windows. The documentation points out functional differences when necessary.
Mac OS refers to System 7.5 and Mac OS 8 and later versions. When a procedure applies to Mac OS only, the instructions say (Mac).
Windows refers to 32-bit Windows versions, including Windows 98 and Windows NT. When a procedure applies to Windows only, the
instructions say (Windows)."

Here's an example:

To Select (column heading)
All objects touched by a selection
box

Do This (column heading)
With a selection tool, press Option (Mac) or Ctrl (Windows) and drag out a box that touches the objects.

I really like the way Deneba's tech writers have done this. It's clear yet platform agnostic.

joe

---
Our fears are like dragons, guarding our most precious treasures.
___Rainer Marie Rilke