RE: Interviewing writers = writing tests?

Subject: RE: Interviewing writers = writing tests?
From: Marilynne Smith <marilyns -at- qualcomm -dot- com>
To: William Swallow <william -dot- swallow -at- aptissoftware -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2000 11:16:00 -0800

At 06:23 AM 2/4/00 , William Swallow wrote:
><snip>
>I find writing tests to be helpful--but I never require them until the
>second (read last) interview, after I've checked references, and whittled
>down the crop to one to three candidates who seem to be a good fit.
></snip>
>
>I have a problem with writing tests... They work very well in determining
>whether a first-time writer will work out, but I do not feel that they will
>aptly identify the strengths and weaknesses of a veteran writer.
>
>I took a writing test for my first writing job (the ol' PBJ). I was fine
>with that. Though I was not compensated for the time I spent writing, I
>didn't mind as I traveled 3 hours to get to the interview and though I
>should make a day out of the trip anyhow (plus they were nice enough to buy
>me lunch).

<snip>

>Bill Swallow
>Technical Writer
Yes, as an experienced writer-contractor, I was asked to come for an interview,
then given a writing test, an editing test, another editing test, and came out
from the testing place to find everyone had gone to lunch. Not only was I not
interviewed, I was not taken to lunch, and I was not compensated for the 5
hours of lost work that day. Needless to say, I wasn't thinking kindly of this
place and would never work for them.

Marilynne
Marilynne Smith
Sr. Technical Writer