Re: Best Documentation

Subject: Re: Best Documentation
From: Tracy Boyington <tracy_boyington -at- okvotech -dot- org>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2000 13:21:38 -0600

> When was the last time that you participated in or witnessed a tech comm
> project that fell apart because of poor writing skills?

I have seen a project that had to be rewritten because, while the information
was probably correct, the document was so poorly written that it was unusable. I
have also seen a project that had to be rewritten because it was entirely
inappropriate for the target audience -- writing for a particular audience is
part of writing skills.

> In over fifteen years of tech comm experience, including leadership of some
> very large scale projects, I have never experinced such.

That's interesting... in over 15 years of driving experience, including
cross-country trips and a few too many minor accidents, I have never been
seriously injured in an accident (knock on wood). I guess I could insist it has
never happened to *anyone* since I haven't experienced it personally, but I
prefer to count my blessings and hope my luck holds out.

Tracy
Oklahoma Department of Vocational & Technical Education
Stillwater, Oklahoma http://www.okvotech.org/cimc