Re: Adverbs, good or evil?

Subject: Re: Adverbs, good or evil?
From: "Jan Stanley" <janstanley -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 17:52:09 -0500

> a) Leave the building.
> b) Leave the burning building immediately.
>
>Which do YOU think would have better results?
>
>Tony Markatos responds:
>
>I kind of like b. Suggestion: leave out 'burning', it does not
really
>invoke a response.

Sure invokes a response in me. Not by definition, but in
practical application, there are degrees of immediacy. I'd be a
lot more likely to *immediately* leave a building that was
burning than one that I was just told to leave immediately. I'd
be quicker still if I heard that there was a bomb threat, as
happened recently.

Jan
janstanley -at- earthlink -dot- net