Re: OT: How would you pronounce this word...? (no, it's not in a dictionary)

Subject: Re: OT: How would you pronounce this word...? (no, it's not in a dictionary)
From: "Dick Margulis" <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com, RStephenson -at- mwci -dot- mea -dot- com
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 100 15:24:12 -0500

Rene,

Believe it or not, there are rules about this. And I don't mean Eric's rules about off-topic posts. <g> I mean rules about how English-speaking people pronounce a new word upon first encountering it in writing.

In this case, the default American pronunciation is PA-see-an (where "a" is pronounced as in farm.

If you were to intercap it as "PaceOn" or "PaceON," of course, the default pronunciation would change to PA-san (in both cases).

I suspect the results would be similar if not identical in other parts of the English-speaking world. Perhaps others can comment on how the name might be pronounced by native speakers of some other languages.

HTH,

Dick

Rene Stephenson wrote:

>Hi All!

I'm in a start-up company that's branching off from a large, international corporation. The new company name is Paceon.

So how would you pronounce "Paceon?" When you see the name in print, how do you think it's pronounced?