Importing graphics in Word 2000

Subject: Importing graphics in Word 2000
From: David Chisma <dchisma -at- retaildir -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L (E-mail)" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 12:04:24 +1100

Dave Chisma wrote:

Here's something that really bugs me about Word 2000, and maybe someone has
a solution.

When I add pictures to Word documents, I generally link to the graphics
files (JPGs) and don't save them in document. Word's default setting for
wrapping style is 'In line with text'. And as long as I leave the picture at
the default wrapping style setting, I can always go back later and see the
original file name by clicking the picture and using the Links command from
the Edit menu (the graphics file is selected in Links dialog box).

The problem is, I can seldom use the 'In line with text' wrapping style
because the top 90% or so of of the picture disappears beneath the text
above it (sometimes, not all the time). And, as soon as you change the
layout setting, Word no longer lists the original file name in the Links
dialog box. The picture is still linked, because if you change the original
file, then update the link in Word by pressing F9, the picture updates. So,
the link is still there, it's just the file name that's lost.

Question 1: How do I keep Word from messing up the 'In line with text'
wrapping style and hiding most of the picture?
Question 2: If I do have to use a different wrapping style, like 'top and
bottom', how can I later find out the name of the original graphics file?

I know that one solution is to use a macro to change the default wrapping
style to Float over text (see http://www.microsoft.com/search/default.asp
and search for Article ID: Q209944). But, I don't really like Float over
text. (Is it just me?)

Another solution is to use FrameMaker, but my employer won't let me.

David Chisma
Technical Writer
Retail Directions Group
dchisma -at- retaildir -dot- com -dot- au