Re: Electronic grammar-checker

Subject: Re: Electronic grammar-checker
From: Jean Weber <jean -at- wrevenge -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2000 17:38:22 +1000

I don't think there is such a thing as a "good" grammar-checker. Every one I've tried or heard of found at least as many false errors as real errors, and missed a lot of the real errors. They keep improving, so I'm told, but I don't consider any of them worth wasting time on. Word's is handy for finding some types of errors, but only if you can recognize which errors are real ones.

Regards, Jean
Jean Hollis Weber
mailto:jean -at- wrevenge -dot- com -dot- au
The Technical Editors' Eyrie http://www.wrevenge.com.au/
Avalook at Australia Travel site: http://www.avalook.com.au/

At 05:08 1/31/00 +0100, Pineapplesoft Mailing List Account wrote:

Hello

I am looking for a standalone electronic grammar-checker for Windows. I
know Word has a grammar-checker but I would need a good standalone product.
I am new to the list but I did my homework and searched the archive. I only
found Mac software.

I would define good as:

- catch many errors
- limit false alerts
- ease of use
- import/export many file format
- has an option to turn off unwanted rules

On the archive, I found a reference to a Mac product Grammarian 2. I
visited the web site of the vendor and they have no Windows version. I also
found a reference to Grammatik, again for Mac, but I could not find the
vendor's web so I don't know if they have a Windows version.

Thanks for any help

--ben
Benoît Marchal, Pineapplesoft