Re: Timekeeping

Subject: Re: Timekeeping
From: "Murrell, Thomas" <TMurrell -at- alldata -dot- net>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 14:20:36 -0500

Personally, I hate filling out time sheets. Every time reporting system
I've seen is inaccurate; some require too much detail, others don't require
enough. But I guess it balances out as I'm not sure anyone ever reads them
or even the aggregated statistics that should be generated from the data.

Nonetheless, I've had to fill out time sheets since forever. Every job I've
been on as a developer, project manager, or technical writer. Each system
is different. I've learned over time to not waste a lot of time on the
reporting. Do a reasonable job of tracking and reporting where you time
goes and send it in at the proper time, and the powers that be will leave
you alone.

You say you have a new "metrics queen" who is responsible for this. My
sincere advice is to be patient. This, too, shall pass. However, time
reporting, like taxes and gravity, will be with us to the grave.

Tom Murrell