testing the documentation

Subject: testing the documentation
From: "Kim Forbes" <kim_portonova -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 19:01:09 GMT

Hello everybody,

Next Tuesday, I am going to do a documentation usability test with future users of the application I am documenting. Has anyone had experience with this sort of thing? Can anyone give me some pointers?

The application is an electronic medical record, and the users are nurses and support staff. I was given a list of about ten things that users were expected to do with the application. For example:
1. Add a parameter
2. D/C a parameter
3. Add a medication
4. Change a med time/dose once a dose has been given.

The documentation itself is a set of 30 6x10 index cards that are laminated and attached directly to the workstation. There is a Toc and an Index.

Thanks so much
Kim Forbes