W2 vs 1099 and what's really important (was: Pay rate for contrac tor with no experience)

Subject: W2 vs 1099 and what's really important (was: Pay rate for contrac tor with no experience)
From: "Humbird, LenX" <lenx -dot- humbird -at- intel -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 11:24:28 -0800

When talking about the total *value* of compensation to the employee... the
salary makes up about HALF of the total package.

What is included in that other half?
Here are some things I thought of in the last ten minutes:
* Paid time off for - vacation, holidays, health, govt. & armed forces,
training, committees, volunteering
* Perks - stock options, bonuses, 401k contributions, internal training and
continuing (academic) education, retirement plan, memberships & clubs,
* Insurance - health, vision, dental, mental, accident, long-term, etc.
* Office - furniture, supplies, capital equipment, copiers, faxers, data
services, etc.
* Infrastructure - secretarial, administration, HR, payroll, legal,
marketing, sales, etc.
* Real estate - building, parking, heating, lighting, water, phone,
security, garbage.
* Other business expenses - SSI employee tax, FICA, real estate taxes, B&O
tax, city/state/county tax, public transportation taxes, environment-related
taxes.

This is really important to show if you're W2-ing it. Because if you find a
job that you really like, but the pay is not all that great, it is totally
allowable to negotiate for some non-salary benefits - like more time off, or
an executive-level health plan. They can and will do this if they want you
bad enough.

But if you're 1099-ing your way to ecstasy, contracting will be a bitch
until:
1. you become an expert at what you do (to make money),
2. learn how to market yourself, and most importantly,
3. learn to be skilled at bidding or negotiating a decent hourly rate.

I'm not quite there yet with negotiating, so contracting (read: agency work)
is still a biting me. But not as bad as it used to.