RE: W2 vs 1099 and what's really important (was: Pay rate for co ntrac tor with no experience)

Subject: RE: W2 vs 1099 and what's really important (was: Pay rate for co ntrac tor with no experience)
From: jack_vanwye -at- nonhp-ex -dot- cv -dot- hp -dot- com
To: justin-paul -dot- geo -at- yahoo -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 17:46:16 -0800

Justin,

I just couldn't let this pass. I _had_ to say something about my
self-employment.

First of all, I am employed as a contract Senior Technical Writer for CDI
Corporation working for our client, Hewlett-Packard.

I also own my own business independent of CDI. No, there is no legal or ethical
conflict of interest in being self-employed simultaneously while being a CDI
employee. I am, and always have been, open and honest with CDI management about
my own private business. We simply do not compete in our respective market
shares.

Anyway, after working in a "conventional" job for 20 years as a TW, I resigned
and opened my own technical writing/editing consulting firm (Professional
Documentation Services [PDS]).

I am now into my third year with my firm. I LOVE IT! It offers me personal and
professional independence, the freedom to pick and choose my own work, the
opportunity to meet lots of new people and to gain new knowledge - thus avoiding
stagnation, and it allows me to personally control my own work/life balance.

My own business is also a great supplement to my current limited-duration
contract with CDI and HP.

My wife's profession allows me access to essential employee benefits.

Glad you asked!

Jack

Jack Van Wye, CDI (Non-HP) Senior Technical Writer
PHM-TIS
Hewlett-Packard
Corvallis, OR