Re: W2 vs 1099 and what's really important (was: Pay rate for Contractor with no experience)

Subject: Re: W2 vs 1099 and what's really important (was: Pay rate for Contractor with no experience)
From: "Nickell Traduction" <nickelltrad -at- autoroute -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 00:49:25 -0500

As someone who's done both, I've discovered there's two types of people.

1) People who are generally social and who find it difficult to go a day
without seeing another face, like working in and contributing to a team, and
want the security of a regular paycheque and benefits. They don't mind
sticking to one subject and getting to know the company inside out. As for
politics, they either play them or ignore them. They learn their place in
their company. They can concentrate on their job, without having to worry
about other things (marketing, invoicing, etc.).

2) People who really prefer to work by themselves or in small teams for
short periods of time with the opportunity of doing at least part of the
work at home or on their own (basically a gregarious loner like me!). They
don't mind not knowing what they'll be doing next week. They create their
own benefits and retirement savings (RRSPs, investments, etc.), and have to
learn how to manage their money carefully, so that if the contracts are few
and far between, they can manage. They like being their own boss and having
to wear many hats. These are people who get bored easily and must have
variety. They don't like to be categorized and cannot stand the possible
complacency of co-workers (who you have to see day in, day out) and
political problems. Basically, they march to a different drummer and have
their own way of doing things.

Granted, there are combinations of these types. I was type 2 working in a
type 1 situation for a year. People accepted my personality and I did get
my way with certain things. I also thwarted two political situations, while
still remaining in people's good books (basically I pointed out two unfair
situations with proof without kissing up or playing the game). After a
year, I went back to contracting and remained on good terms with the
company, who still give me work from time to time. I know Type 1s who are
doing contracts, but hate it.

It really depends on what's important to you personally.

Traci