Re: Techies vs Usability

Subject: Re: Techies vs Usability
From: "Anthony Markatos" <tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com, tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 11:22:11 PST

Andrew Plato said:

Just because you THINK employers need usability experts does not mean they want them. This is a simple case of supply and demand. If people with usability skills were wanted, then companies would hire them.

Likewise - people want cheap powerful computer stuff. You might hate the fact that is is hard to use, but nobody cares. If usability were really, truly a problem - companies would take more time to worry about it.

Tony Markatos responds:

While I can, in the main, agree with your assessment of the "real-world", the simple fact remains that ANY tech writer (or systems analyst) who is not highly end-user focused is severely retarding his/her professional growth (not to mention is/her personal growth).

This is the conflict which we must all live with.

Tony Markatos
(tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com)