RE: tech word for user interface

Subject: RE: tech word for user interface
From: Aoidìn Scully <ascully -at- flexicom -dot- com>
To: "'Carnall, Jane'" <Jane -dot- Carnall -at- compaq -dot- com>, "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 14:40:08 -0000

Jane Carnall writes:

>>The SME's for a new product have come up with terminology to describe
>>various interfaces within the product, based on the positioning of the
>>interfaces in a diagram (similiar interfaces are grouped together in the
>>diagram).

>>The interfaces at the top are called "northbound", those at the bottom are
>>called "southbound", and to left and right "eastbound" and "westbound".

>>Is this a standard way of identifying interfaces?

Surely, "northbound" implies 'moving towards the North'.

Since I presume that these interfaces are not actually moving around the
screen, 'northbound' etc. sound totally wrong to me. 'Northern' perhaps
might be okay...

When did 'top', 'bottom', 'left', and 'right' go out of fashion? Or am I
hopelessly out-of-date?

Aoidin