Subject: Summary: Time Formats
From: "Debbie Packer" <dpacker -at- stingrayboats -dot- com>
To: "Tech Writer List (E-mail)" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 16:01:31 -0500

Thanks a lot to those who responded to my time formats question.

Here are the answers I received:

----
I'm quoting from "American Usage and Style: The Consensus" by Roy H.
Copperud, 1980.

"Whether a.m. and p.m. are capitalized is an arbitrary matter that
publications settle in their stylebooks. The lower case seems predominant.
----
According to the Chicago Style of Manual: 8 A.M. (in small caps)
According to the Gov't Printing Office Style Manual: 8 a.m.
----
According to Microsoft's Manual of Style for Technical Publications, the
correct form is 8 A.M.
----
If you're figuring continental US, it's 8 A.M. or 8 a.m., because a.m. and
p.m. are abbreviations for two words (ante meridien and post meridien,
respectively).

Thanks!

Debbie

Debbie Packer - Web Developer
http://www.stingrayboats.com

With no walls or fences on the Internet, who needs Windows or Gates?