Re: Which Help is the best help?

Subject: Re: Which Help is the best help?
From: "David M. Brown" <dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com>
To: Techwr-L post <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 20:38:02 -0800

Kate O'Neill wrote:

> My client is trying to decide on the best help technology
> for each of several apps (each app can have different help
> delivery technology)... the two web-based apps
> will rely on vanilla HTML, but I'm not thrilled about
> delivering in vanilla HTML (no search or index unless they
> roll their own).
>
> Any suggestions?

Plain HTML is a perfectly viable medium for quite useful help systems. We've developed them for (and with) several of our clients. As for the search and index features:

* Search engines are available in many price ranges (beginning
with free, from what I understand).

* "Rolling your own" index would be a much more difficult task
if it weren't for HTML Indexer. :)

--David

David M. Brown - Brown Inc.
dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com

A V A I L A B L E N O W ! http://www.html-indexer.com/

HTML Indexer 3, still the easiest way to create and maintain real
back-of-the-book indexes for web sites and other HTML documents.

Now including options for HTML Help and JavaHelp indexes, too!