benefits of a publications manager?

Subject: benefits of a publications manager?
From: Stina Lane-Cummings <stina -at- real -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 18:44:46 -0800

I am trying to convince some people here that we need a full-fledged
publication/documentation/user education manager. This is hard, because
there aren't any problems right now. This is because the writers are
wonderfully self-managing and are being supervised by someone who leaves us
alone unless we ask for help. But there isn't a career ladder and people
don't get to work on fun projects. This isn't a problem--yet. But in my
opinion, it will be a problem if we add one more person or if anyone
decides to leave.

Without elaborating on the rest of the picture, the sticking points seem to
be:

1. How is a publications manager different from any other manager?
2. What are the benefits of having a publications manager?

I'm having trouble articulating the wonderfulness of this position in a way
that would be convincing to upper management.

How would you convince upper management that giving a dedicated
publications manager to an existing group of writers is a good idea?

Stina Lane-Cummings