Re: Chapter number

Subject: Re: Chapter number
From: "Marc A. Santacroce" <epubs -at- ricochet -dot- net>
To: Karen Neeb <KNeeb -at- SagebrushCorp -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 09:26:44 -0800

Karen if I understand correctly,you are talking about page numbering. The argument for consecutive numbering is that is is easier to find page 321, that to find page 5-37 (unless that chapters have tabbed dividers).

The argument for restarting numbering is that it is easier to replace pages or chapters without reprinting the entire manual. It is, however, a bit harder to cross-reference other chapters.

Given those two arguments, I prefer to restart numbering, as long as the chapters are clearly delineated.

Marc

Hi all!

I'd like your opinions on the following:

What are some arguments for and against the two main ways to number
chapters, i.e., numbering the entire manual consecutively (1-568) vs. using
the chapter number and restarting each chapter at 1 (1-1, 2-1, etc.)?

I have my own ideas, but I'd like to see if I'm missing anything.

Please reply directly as I subscribe to digest. Thanks in advance,

Karen Neeb
Kneeb -at- sagebrushcorp -dot- com <mailto:Kneeb -at- sagebrushcorp -dot- com>

Marc A. Santacroce
Senior Technical Writer,
ePubs, Inc.

I love it here;
..there's no where I'd rather be,
.....there's nothing I'd rather be doing,
........and no one I'd rather be doing it with.