HTML table of contents

Subject: HTML table of contents
From: "Sandy Harris" <sharris -at- dkl -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 14:18:46 -0500

Before I start writing one, can anyone point me to an open source
program that will generate a table of contents for an HTML file and
insert it into the file?

I've got the Amaya browser/editor (http://w3c.org) which will do this
interactively, but I need to do it without interaction so I can write
a script or makefile to do it for a few dozen files.

I've got code that looks at a bunch of HTML files and generates a TOC
as an additional file (that code is in the FreeS/WAN distribution at
http://www.freeswan.org if anyone wants it), but I need tables of
contents inserted at the top of each file.