RE: Is indenting subheadings and subtext current practice? Is it useful?

Subject: RE: Is indenting subheadings and subtext current practice? Is it useful?
From: "Scudder, Beth" <beth_scudder -at- retek -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 14:23:11 -0600

Jennifer Laiks [mailto:jlaiks -at- prioritycall -dot- com] asked:

We were wondering if most people indent different levels of text? Is it
more current to just use different sizes of headers? Has anyone seen
articles/statistics on what degree of indentation makes text clearer for
readers?

On one of my more recent contracts, we both varied the header sizes and
indented the text (along with the headers) to different levels.

In my current job, we only vary the header sizes and indent levels, and use
one level of text.

In general, I think it's clearer to indent the text along with the header
level... although it can increase the number/length of pages, which is
sometimes a problem.

As far as I know, though, the method you use is up to your discretion.

I don't know of any articles or statistics on this subject, but would be
very interested in knowing if anyone else has, since I may recommend a
change to the current template here.

--Beth Scudder