Re: Marketing's Role

Subject: Re: Marketing's Role
From: "Christensen, Kent" <lkchris -at- sandia -dot- gov>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 09:13:30 -0700

I suggest it's best to look at Marketing's role in tech writing as follows:
If the writing product is seen outside the company by customers,
shareholders, etc., then it's by definition a marketing product. If the
product is for internal use only, who cares? As a Marketing major, I lament
the fact that the business school is on one side of campus and those
learning communication skills in other departments are somewhere else and
the twain never meet. This may have some benefit for organizing a
university (I think it's just tradition) but it does not reflect the reality
of the business world, and it's counterproductive to take this exclusionary
approach, taught so well in universities, out into the real world.
Post-graduate work may be required. One example:
http://www.kjcg.com/workshops/highperf/index.shtml